Friday, March 21, 2008

Good Friday

I always dread going to a service on Good Friday because I know the evening will be heavy and hard-hitting. There's nothing pleasant about the image of Jesus on the cross. But I knew I needed to be there as a reminder of the sacrifice made for me (and all of us). I know this blog is supposed to be about photography, but I haven't had much of that going on the past couple of months so instead I want to share with you (briefly) something that my pastor said that really hit home...

These days - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are symbols of every part of our life.

We may have Fridays where we are going through experiences that are dim and even tragic. We may have Saturdays where God is silent and we feel so far removed from Him. But the good thing about experiencing Fridays and Saturdays is that we know Sunday is coming.

I have to admit I've had way to many Saturdays lately and most of those are my own fault because I'm selfish and think I can handle life myself, but I know that's not the case. I know my life would be far better if I would get out of the way of what God is trying to do.

Thankfully there are days like these where I can go before God and remember all that has been done on my account (and yours), and while it's heartbreaking to see what little I've done with all I've been given, I know God hasn't given up on me, and he never will. So tonight I told him despite the sin I can't seem to shake and the selfishness that makes me want to stay in it, I would take it day by day and do my best to let him lead the way.

I'm looking forward to Sunday so I can celebrate these words on the day He was risen...

"My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace"

No comments: